...random experiences, observations and thoughts of my daily life as mommy...past journeys and dreams of journeys yet to be taken creating my life story as i go...


Sunday, September 13, 2009

day 31 blog 31 fruit tart

i've loved sugar since an early age...this was possibly me with my first birthday cake? so no, not the fruit tart...just wanted to do a quick follow up post...i went four solid days without any high fat, dairy, sugary, fried or overly carbed out foods until last night my neighbor julie had a sky show party at her house and one of her friends brought a yummy fruit tart. imagine light, buttery, flaky crust, a layer of dark chocolate, creamy vanilla custard of some sort and lots of fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, peaches...i swore i had a photo of one of these from back in the day...anyway, i had two solid pieces...and then had a large chai latte today with my dear friend that visited from out of town (more about her and her creative writing that inspires me later)...but back to the fruit tart...this reminded me of fond memories of college and afterwards in the napa valley. saint helena is possibly one of my favorite little towns in the world. very quaint, small community, gorgeous yet simple craftsman and victorian homes, lots of trees, flowers, bright yellow mustard growing between rows and rows of grape vines...i can do a napa valley post with photos later...anyway, the model bakery is my favorite bakery in the world (ok, i haven't quite made it everywhere, but in my travels)...intimate, personal, friendly close-knit community hang-out along with delicious food...great variety, fresh local and seasonal ingredients...not cheap, though...anyway, i'm going to try to go back to not eating sugar, fat and limited dairy (yogurt) for a little longer but just wanted to report on my slip up...

2 comments:

  1. Proof that, sometimes, slip-ups create the sweetest memories. Now I want to jaunt up to St. Helena and sit in that bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, that's such an adorable photo! Love it. This is one of my favorite things about blogging - being able to write down the things that make me feel good, memories that trigger other memories and sharing things that make us happy (and sad, too.) memories. and photos.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

leave me comments here