...random experiences, observations and thoughts of my daily life as mommy...past journeys and dreams of journeys yet to be taken creating my life story as i go...


Thursday, July 21, 2011

"mommy i'm ready for my swimming lesson"

story is just learning how to swim...he's got the parts down...has been going under water, blowing bubbles, practicing his kicks, arms, etc. but in the last week he's put it all together and asks manuel or myself for a swim lesson where he swims from the stairs to us and then turns around and swims back. it is really cute. he gets so excited and proud of himself. the other day his 10-year-old pool friend natasha was giving him swim lessons while i was relaxing/resting in the sun and i started to feel like he didn't "need" me and i only had a few days left for his requests for a swim lesson...so i got back in the pool...sure enough, he is already showing us how he can do this by himself...they are growing up so fast...i haven't even really gotten a video of this milestone and he'll have it down before i get around to it...in other "little things" news, sea has been saying for some time now that she can ride a bike...despite the fact that she doesn't have one, hasn't practiced, hasn't even really ridden a bike with training wheels...but sure enough, yesterday she implored a new friend at the park to let her borrow their bike and by golly she had it down and was riding all over the grass! she really is motivated and a go-getter when it is on her terms...

i've been thinking about many of these little things in my life...like while typing this post kyra just chewed up the third pair of my shoes in two days...the last pair was the flip flops with turquoise and red beads that my bridesmaids wore in our wedding so i was particularly sad to lose that pair...how these little things piece together the ins and outs of my days in ways that have meaning to me...i'm always looking for big picture meanings and ways to connect/philosophize on what really matters in life but often it is stopping to be a part of the little things...of course as i say that i didn't slow down enough to notice what those little things were today...

i also re-read my post from yesterday...normally i would leave that post up for about a week because i didn't have anything more meaningful to write about...but what struck me is how i started out writing about "sea's friend calvin"...that is inaccurate on several levels...his mom is definitely one of my dear friends and i consider calvin my friend, too! it is funny how i look at life through the eyes of my children so much i forget to look at my own independent (or related) perspective...like when i was room mom sea's teacher called me "sea's mom" instead of learning my name and i was flattered that i took second tier to sea...glad the focus was on my child...but with dear friends moving away i realized after re-reading that post that it looks like they are not also MY friends! sorry, sarah, if you happen to be reading this post, too...that was not my intent nor how i feel...

did i mention i'm a psychology major and over-analyze everything? i was talking to sarah about how she should start a blog about her move to georgia and she was saying how she is a perfectionist and wouldn't want to write knowing people were reading...i used to worry about those things but now this is more of our family's journal and it is kind of liberating knowing i really don't have any readers! that sounds bad...i'd like to write well enough, interesting enough things that people WANT to read my blog...in fact i sometimes get my feelings hurt that i follow other friends' blogs and they don't read mine or that my closest friends don't follow my blog at all...but i get it...hey, i don't really follow any blogs that regularly because i get too busy to even live my own life...on that note, my children need to get to bed...here is a last photo of story, age 3, near the 3 feet deep pool marker...getting SO BIG...

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me comments here